How to create a Real-Time Protection Task
How to create an Ascema Real-Time Protection Tasklink
Real-Time Protection Tasks are where you set up the process of monitoring movement your sensitive data with the Ascema system. A Real-Time Protection Task lets you define the sensitive data that you are concerned about and where where you are concerned about it being moved to. In order to be able to create a Real-time Protection Task you must have a user account and be logged in to the Ascema Endpoint manager. See How to manage Ascema user accounts.
Creating a Protection Tasklink
Creating a Real-Time Protection Task will usually be one of the first things you do after installing the Ascema system. When you log in after the initial installation you will be presented with an invitation to create your first search or protection task.
Once you have created your first search or protection task this screen will show a summary of your overall use of the Ascema system. The option to create a Real-Time Protection Task will then be found on the main navigation menu as Real-Time Protection
When setting up the first Real-Time Protection Task select the Create new protection task option
This guide will walk you through creating a typical Real-Time Protection Task.
- The first stage of the create Real-Time Protection Task wizard will be displayed
Across the top of the wizard is a progress monitor indicating where you are in the process of creating the new Real-Time Protection Task. In this case the the start of the process where you will give the search item a unique name which you can use to manage it in the future.
- Give your Protection Task a unique and meaningful name to help you manage it - this name will also appear on end user reports so a clear and informative name will be best.
- When this stage of the wizard is complete select the Next button
- Having selected Next proceed to the next stage of the wizard
- You can define your Protection Task for National Insurance Numbers with a simple pattern
- Click the Select Simple Pattern button
- The simple patterns have been organised into categories according to the countries where they originate
- National Insurance Number originates in the United Kingdom so select that row of the table
- You choose the pattern you want by selecting the + symbol in the Enable column
- The wizard will now confirm your selection
- The options for Action would allow you to set how the Ascema system responds when matching data is found
- The menu option for confidence would allow you to report on items where Ascema is less confident that they match the pattern you are looking for
- The menu option for minimum number would allow you to set a tolerance level for low numbers of matches in a single file which will not trigger the protection action
- Leave the default values as they are for this exercise
- With the search pattern selected you are ready to proceed to the filters selection stage of the wizard
- Select Next to proceed to the next part of the wizard
- The initial selection for areas to protect is for Cloud Sync Folders
- Use the radio buttons to select one or more Cloud Sync Folders to monitor for sensitive data
- The second selection for areas to protect is for Special Folders
- Use the radio buttons to select Special Folders which you wish to monitor for sensitive data
- The third selection for areas to protect is for removable media
- Selecting this will apply protection to storage identified as removable media by the endpoint operating sytem when attached to the endpoint
- When all the selections are made select Next
- The filter stage of the wizard is where you can define a filter to limit which file types Ascema will monitor for the senstitive data
- To select a file type simply click the slider button next to the description.
- To un-select a file type click the slider button again so that it returns to the unselected position
- The Select all option will cause the search to look through all files of all types, searches with this option will take longer to complete
- When you have selected your filter by file type select Next
- Select the devices on which you want to run the Real-Time Protection Task
- The option to Run on all devices will set up the task to run on all connected Endpoints
- Select Finish to start the Real-Time Protection Task