How to manage Endpoint devices
How to manage Endpoint deviceslink
As the Ascema agent is installed onto endpoint devices it will automatically discover the Endpoint Manager and register the device it is installed on. As devices are not always switched on or available on the network the manager will keep a record of all devices it has previously registered, if devices fall out of use these records may no longer be required and can be deleted from the manager.
At time it may be expedient to exclude some devices from being searched for sensitive data. In this case you can use the administration interface to temporarily block searches from being performed on those devices.
Viewing devices in the Ascema systemlink
Follow these steps to prevent searches for sensitive data on a device which has registered on the Ascema system.
Follow these steps to temporarily exclude a device from searches for sensitive data.
- From the Acema Endpoint home screen select the Administration menu item
- Selecting this menu will open out the menu options for administrators
- From the list of menu items select Devices
- The devices maintenance screen will be displayed
- A list of registered devices will be displayed
- For each device currently connected you can see some key information to aid in managing those devices
- Connected - the handshake icon indicates whether a device is currently connected in this example the green handshake shows connection and the red thumbs down shows a disconnected agent
- Device - depending on the operating system of the device this will be the computer or host name
- Type - an icon which will indicate the type of device withing the Ascema system; this could be and endpoint, fileserver or Alfresco device
- IP Address - the current IP address of the device on your network
- User - the user account under which the Ascema agent is running
- Location - the name of the Ascema Manager to which the device is connected, this is only displayed in an enterprise deployment using Primary / Secondary Ascema Managers
- Email - if you have recorded email contact details for this device then it will be shown here
- For each device you will also see an Actions menu
Blocking Searches on a devicelink
- Select the active device which you wish to exclude from searches and click the Actions button
- From the Actions menu select the Block option
- The device will now be blocked and this is indicated on the devices maintenance screen with a blocked icon
- The actions available to you for this device now change to Allow or Delete
Unblocking Searches on a devicelink
Follow these steps to re-enable searches for sensitive data on a device which has previously been excluded from those searches.
- Select a device which is currently blocked as shown by the blocked icon
- On the device which you wish to re-enable Select the Actions button
- From the actions menu select Allow
- The device will be re-enabled for searching
Removing a device from the Ascema Endpoint systemlink
If a device is no longer active and connected then it is possible to remove it permanently from the Ascema system.
Each device currently recorded on the Ascema Endpoint Manager will count against your Ascema licence. Deleting records for devices which are no longer in use will free up capacity on your license for new devices.
- Devices which are either blocked or disconnected may be removed from the Ascema system
- Select the Actions button for a device which is either disconnected or blocked
- For blocked or disconnected devices the action menu will show a Delete option
- Select the Delete option
- The device will be deleted and will no longer appear on the devices maintenance screen and will no longer count against the licence limit.
Deleting a device not prevent an Ascema agent from working normally in the future even if installed on a device what has previously been deleted. If the device is installed with an active Ascema agent at some point in the future then it will re-appear on the devices maintenance screen as an active client at that time.