How to use the Data Retrieval Reports to manage retrieved data
How to use the Ascema Data Retrieval Reports to review retrieved datalink
The Ascema system provides overview reports which allow users with accounts to view the data retrieved by Ascema Retrieval Tasks and to take a number of actions as part of the process of managing retrieved data.
In order to use the Data Retrieval Reports you must have a user account and be logged in to the Ascema Endpoint manager; see How to manage Ascema user accounts.
Reviewing Data Retrieval reportslink
By the use of the Ascema Retrieval Reports you can gain an overview of data which has been found across your organisation and retrieved into a repository. These reports give you a number of ways to view information about this data to help you understand and manage the data retrieved.
- From the Ascema Endpoint manager home screen select the Data Retrieval menu item
- From the options under Data Retrieval choose the View Reports options
- You will now see Ascema Data Retrieval Reports page
- The Data Retrieval Reports provide you with a number of different ways to view information about the data which has been found
Selecting the Data Retrieval instancelink
The Data Retrieval report will show information on a single data retrieval instance.
- The currently reported retrieval instance will be displayed at the top of the page
- This can be changed by using the Repo Selection area
- From the displayed tasks select the repo you wish to view
Grouping information on the reportlink
There are four ways to group the information
- By Repo path the filename of the retrieved data within the repository
- By Device from which the data was retrieved
- By Pattern for which the search was looking when it found the data
- By File Path of the file in which the data was found
- When you first open the reports the information will be grouped by Repo path
- To change the grouping select the dropdown for Group by
- From the list of options select the grouping you want for the report
- Alongside each of the summary rows is an arrow icon which you can click to expand the information for that row
- Having clicked on the arrow icon expanded information for the row will be displayed
- As the report is still grouped by REpo path this will show all of the instances of that source file
- There will be multiple rows where the same file was found in more than one place
- Each row has a further arrow which can be clicked to show the details of matches within the file
- Each line also has a quickview icon which is the eye icon on the right hand side
- Placing the mouse pointer over this icon will display a quick view of the matches found in that file
- Clicking on the arrow icon next to a file will expand the report out so you are able to review the individual data items within the file
- In this example there one item which was detected as a UK NHS Number
- Each data item also has an information icon diplayed next to it
- When youclick the information icon you will be able to see full details of the data which has been alerted.
Filtering for values within a groupinglink
For each way in which you can group data there is a corresponding filter which you can use to limit the data displayed to just that which you want to view
- Enter text or partial text for the value you wish to filter on
- The report will respond by excluding all rows which do not include the filter value
Refreshing the Search Reportlink
Sometimes the information held by the system will be updated while you are reviewing a report, either because of a search which is taking place or as a result of actions by other users. If you wish to be sure that what you are viewing is the very latest information you can use the Refresh Results button to update your report.
Exporting Search Report resultslink
While the Search Reports give you a number of ways to view your information about sensitive data sometimes you will need to put that information into another format so you can produce written reports or combine information from other sources.
- From the Ascema Endpoint manager home screen select the Search Reports menu item
- Group and filter your report as described above until you have just the information which you wish to export
- Select the Export link on the report page
- The export dialog will then be displayed
- You may enter a filename for your export
- You may enter a sheet name for the export which will be used if you export to a spreadsheet format such as Excel
- Select the Export filetype type dropdown menu to see the available file types you can export into
- Select the file type from the list
Select the export button
The file will be created in the normal place your browser stores downloaded files.
Due to the nature of the information you are downloading the spreadsheet file types will often produce the most useful results; such as Microsoft Excel, OpenDocument Spreadsheet or CSV files